Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Show Time


Another watercolor project on the way. "Show Time" Inspired by one wet evening at a carnival in the Philippines.

The amazing thing about going to a carnival as a young lad in the Philippines way back in the 70's was seeing those so called "The Enchanted Shows". There was this instance I saw a sign that says "The Monkey Man". The huge sign was painstakingly decorated with a really nice but freaky mural of a giant gorilla-looking man eating a bloody live chicken. When I went and saw "the show" I was amazed and at the same time terrified to see such a hairy and terrifying creature. As a kid I though to myself with amazement "where in the world did they found this 'thing'". And I was also sad and felt sorry for the furry or rather hairy creature to be captured and caged like that.

Weeks after the carnival, when I was in the market with my mother, I was happy and relieved to see The Monkey Man out from its cage, enjoying the fresh air of freedom. I was glad to see him as a Jeepney conductor.

5 comments:

Gabby Zapata said...

oooo lovely! can't wait to see this colored :)

Joan Y said...

It's such an engaging drawing, just like the story about the monkey man! :)

Leen Christens said...

Waw, what can I say, great atmosphere! Drawing the scene vertical and narrow gives it that little bit extra!

Morph Waffle said...

Lovely drawing and story.

psychopooch said...

Looking forward to seeing this as a watercolor as well. Great start!